Monday, January 21, 2013

Long Time...

...but I've got so much to be thankful for, so I better write now!

I haven't exactly kept it a secret that we were going to start trying for baby #2 about 7 months ago. Obviously, we've had little luck! Here's the story of what's been going on in our life lately. I feel like I need to share. :)

We found out the day after Christmas that we were FINALLY pregnant.

About a week after finding out, I started feeling awful and having extreme cramps on one side of my body only. I was freaked out, but remembered having pretty strong cramps with Russell too. As time went on though, I started to wonder if something was wrong because the pain started to be all I could focus on.

I went back to school Jan 3, a Thursday. I could barely make it to my classroom that morning and when I finally got there, I HAD to turn right around and go back to the principal's office. I was going to tell him I had to go to the hospital NOW. Well, he wasn't in his office and I met 20 people (felt that way) in the hallway wanting to talk about my Christmas break on the way back to my room. All I could think was "I'm dying," so if you were one I talked to that day, I apologize for the rudeness! :)

I made it through the rest of the day by the grace of God. When the kids came in, my pain eased. I was able to get through Day 1 with my new students easily as long as there were kids in the room. When I had my planning period and focus team meeting, I was in so much pain! But again, once the kids got back, I was ok. As soon as school was over, I called the doc. They said a nurse would call me shortly but I didn't have time. I had to get there now. So I got in the car and started driving to the doctor or hospital, whoever would let me in first. On the way, I got a call from the nurse at my doc's office saying to get there immediately for an emergency ultrasound. So...that's where I headed.

I got to the doctor and saw a HUGE room of at least 40 people sitting in the waiting room. I was almost in tears thinking they weren't going to let me in. But surprisingly, I was the first person they let go back. The ultrasound tech was wonderful. She didn't really tell me what she saw at that point but I was able to see on the screen. Every time she got to where the pain was, there was a big empty sac. I knew in my heart that was it. When the doctor explained everything, he said that there was an empty sac (just as suspected--and thank God--I could not have handled seeing a tiny healthy baby growing in there) growing in my right Fallopian tube. Apparently there just wasn't enough room for anything to develop in the tiny tube, so it was just a sac.  He discussed my options with me and for my situation, it sounded like surgery was the best choice. 

He scheduled me for emergency surgery the next morning.  The surgery went really well.  I was terrified because I had never had any surgery that I could remember (I did have my tonsils taken out when I was little but remember nothing about it).  But really...it was a relief and the doctor was amazing.  The surgery actually felt better than the ectopic did...it just didn't give any relief from the pain.  Ricky was then put in charge of me for the next few days.  :)  My parents picked up Russell the day of the surgery while I was at home recovering.  It turned out that all the family down there ended up taking care of him longer than expected--4 nights total, I believe!  We are sooooo thankful for our family!  I missed Russell like crazy though.  The house was so quiet and I just wanted to hug my baby.

The day after my surgery, Ricky rented The Campaign.  We didn't make it through 30 seconds before I started giggling and almost DIED from the pain.  This got Ricky laughing and then I started crying because it hurt so bad to laugh...so then I had to get up and leave the room to stop the whole repetitive laugh/cry/laugh/cry thing.  Of course, he had to help me out of the chair...the whole time laughing.  It was awful.  We finally calmed down and talked about how we'd look back on that one day and laugh at the memory.  :)


Our vows have truly been tested this past few weeks..."for better or worse, in sickness and in health.." He has been here through it all right by my side, possibly more "there" than he already was.  He said he would wake up in the middle of the night wondering if I'm ok or if I had fallen off of the bed. Ha! It's so sweet, and makes me love him even more knowing that he didn't HAVE to help me or comfort me at all...but he chose to. :)




Russell has been amazing since he got home. It hurt so bad to laugh out loud, but I couldn't quite help it with him here. He made me a sweet card while he was gone and brought home a balloon and flowers for me. He was very concerned about my slowness, but didn't want to make me try to hurry. He told me the other day "You know who else is slow like you? Sheba. She's an old grandma." I couldn't help but giggle. Then one night he read me an entire book (The First Christmas) perfectly...nothing funny about that, right? But toward the end, where the wise men bring gifts (the book called them treasures) to Jesus, he looked up with this mischievous face and said in perfect Hobbit-movie tone, "My preciouses...my preciouses..." I about died from the pain of laughing so hard. It was great. Ricky seemed so proud when I told him that story.....lol.

So fast forward to today.  I am feeling wonderful, physically.  Emotionally, I am doing wonderful as well--most of the time.  Little things set off my emotions, but I'm sure that will heal with time.  Yesterday at church was great and just what I needed.  Romans 8:28 - "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."  I already knew this but the amazing thing was that I had asked God to speak directly to me that morning, and I feel like this was meant for me.  That's exactly what I needed.  I have no doubt that God will send us baby #2 when the time is right...so until then I'm going to kick back and enjoy life with my family that's already here.  We are so blessed!  :)








No comments:

Post a Comment